Thank you for your interest in the Maria Droste Counseling Center Internship Program! Maria Droste offers a comprehensive and competitive internship program. Our cohorts of 20 interns for 2016-2017 and 24 for 2017-2018 were selected from a pool of more than 100 candidates, and in our 27-year history, we have trained over 500 intern therapists.
Below, please find detailed information on the application timeline and service programs, as well as FAQs that address internship requirements, supervision and internship tracks. Please read through the following information carefully before reaching out to our program staff and before applying for an internship placement (see bottom of page for contact information and application link).
2018-2019 Application Timeline
The following timeline describes application procedures for 2018-2019:
- November 27, 2017: Online application becomes available for review (see bottom of page).
- January 1 to February 28, 2018: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- January to April 2018: Group and individual interviews will be conducted for selected candidates.
Please note that the application process includes three stages for selected candidates:
- Online application
- Group interview
- Individual interview
Maria Droste Programs
As stated in our mission, Maria Droste is committed to serving individuals who would otherwise not be able to obtain counseling services. One of the ways we do this is through the participation of master’s and doctoral level interns from area counseling, psychology, social work, marriage and family therapy, and school psychology programs. These interns provide counseling through several Maria Droste programs (click the link for full descriptions).
Frequently Asked Questions: What you need to know
Do you provide practica opportunities?
No, we do not provide practica opportunities. Our internship site is tailored for graduate students seeking master’s level internship or doctoral level practicum placement.
How long is the internship?
Internship opportunities at Maria Droste are 9-12 months in duration, beginning in June or August and ending in June of the following year. We do not accept interns for shorter durations of time or at alternative start/ending dates.
How many hours a week is an internship at Maria Droste?
Our interns, regardless of their track (see track information below), commit to 24 hours a week during an internship at Maria Droste. We do not accept interns for fewer than 24 hours a week.
What kind of experience will I get as a Maria Droste intern?
Through our internship program, interns receive experience with:
- Individual Therapy
- Counseling for Clients of All Ages
- Group Therapy
- Couples Counseling and Family Therapy
- Integrated Care
What are the internship tracks?
In their applications, internship candidates are asked to choose a track that aligns with Maria Droste programs (Options, Children First, Integrated Care). Click programs and tracks for more information.
What is supervision like?
Internship supervisors are members of The Therapist Group, a collective of therapists highly experienced in a wide variety of modalities, and who are enthusiastic about training our interns. Due to increasingly specialized placements, we also hire field supervisors with specific expertise. All of our supervisors have tremendous respect for the important role that interns play in our mission of providing quality services to the community, and they receive training and consultation specifically related to their supervisory role.s Interns receive weekly individual supervision and group supervision twice monthly.
What are the internship program requirements?
- Currently enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program
- 24 hours/week minimum (See program/track descriptions)
- Minimum 9 month commitment (mid August to June; optional June start)
- Training every Friday morning from 8:30 to noon
- Ability to schedule clients at least one evening (4-7pm) or a half-day on weekend each week
- Ability to respond to client emergencies such as abuse reports as needed
- One hour individual supervision per week
- Completion of all clinical and agency paperwork, billing
- A minimum of two audio/video recordings
- Ability to work independently
- Professional attitude
- Self-awareness and a commitment to personal growth. Interns who have not had their own counseling are asked to complete a minimum of 6 sessions prior to starting the internship
- Agency key & building entry deposit (currently $25)
- Child Abuse Record & Background Check fee (currently $25)
Is my graduate program partnered with Maria Droste and can I apply for an internship?
Maria Droste Counseling Center is an approved field placement site for several graduate programs. These currently include:
- Colorado State University: Social Work program
- Metropolitan State University of Denver: Social Work program
- Naropa University: M.A. Mindfulness-Based TCP, M.A. Contemplative Psychotherapy and Buddhist Psychology, M.A. Somatic Dance Movement Body Psychotherapy
- Regis University: M.A. Counseling, M.A. Marriage and Therapy
- University of Colorado Denver: M.A. Counseling Psychology, M.A. Clinical Mental Health, M.A. Couple and Family Counseling, School Psychology program
- University of Denver: M.S.W., M.A. Counseling Psychology, M.A. International Disaster Psychology, Psy.D. Child and Adolescent Assessment and Intervention, Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- University of Northern Colorado: M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling, M.A. School Counseling
What if my graduate program is not listed above and I’d like to apply for an internship?
Any other programs need to be cleared with our Director of Clinical Training, and have an anti-discrimination statement that is inclusive (i.e. includes sexual orientation and gender identity). For programs not listed above, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your university’s anti-discrimination statement, a summary of your academic and clinical training progression, and a contact person for your program.
I’ve read everything and I still have questions. Who can I reach out to?
For more information about our graduate training program, please e-mail Bridget Hand, LSW, Internship Coordinator, at Recruitment@MariaDroste.org.
I’m ready to apply! Where do I go?
If you have carefully reviewed all this information and are ready to move forward in the application process, please visit the Submitting Your Application page.
What about receiving your newsletter?
If you have joined our Prospective Intern eNews list via internship fair and you are NOT receiving email updates, please contact Erika_Durbin@MariaDroste.org. Emails are input exactly as they are written at the fairs, making it possible to misinterpret handwriting. You may also sign up for email updates through the newsletter page.